Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc.
Fundraising Activity/Event Protocol
THANK YOU for your interest in conducting a fundraising activity/ event to benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc. (“RMHCCV”). You and numerous community supporters know first-hand how important private support continues to be to RMHCCV. All of the efforts you put forth are greatly appreciated.
Please read and agree to these guidelines before planning your activity/event.
Our policies and procedures are designed to guide you in planning fundraising activities and events to benefit RMHCCV. State and Federal law regulate all fundraising activities, and we follow all applicable laws and best practices guidelines for charitable giving and acknowledgments. Any individual or organization who wishes to conduct a fundraising activity/event or promotion involving the use of the name “Ronald McDonald House” or specifically “Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc.” or for other fundraising activities and/or publicity purposes must receive advance written approval from Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc. Please allow at least four weeks for the review process to take place.
- Activities and events should complement the mission and image of Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc. Organizations that conflict with RMHCCV’s mission or values may not be sponsors. The final judgment allowing an organization and/or a person to host an activity/event benefiting RMHCCV shall be the sole and final decision of RMHCCV.
- Applications must be submitted in writing no later than 4 weeks prior to the proposed activity/event date. Applications shall be submitted by e-mailing the written application to megan@Rmhccv.org. Applicants must reapply annually for approval.
- You, as the activity/event organizer, must obtain all necessary permits, licenses and/or insurance.
- It is the event coordinator’s responsibility to ensure that the event is properly advertised. The event producer should not rely on RMHCCV for publicity or advertisement.
- RMHCCV ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIVITY/EVENT. YOU AGREE TO RELEASE RMHCCV AND ITS OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACTIVITY/EVENT.
- Be prepared to estimate expenses and revenues for your activity/event, as well as the size of the contribution you intend to donate to RMHCCV. RMHCCV reserves the right to require a minimum guaranteed donation on a case-by-case basis. The Council of Better Business Bureau states that, “reasonable use of funds requires that at least 50% of total income from all sources be spent on programs and activities directly related to the organization’s purposes.” RMHCCV will not approve an activity/event in which fundraising costs exceed 50% of total income. RMHCCV strives to maintain overall fundraising costs at 15% of the total income and strongly urges activity/event organizers to meet this standard.
- RMHCCV must approve, in advance, the content of all invitations, advertisements, press releases, posters or other promotional materials related to your project. Public announcements or promoting the activity/event IS PROHIBITED until written approval has been sent to activity/event organizer.
- RMHCCV may only be identified as the beneficiary of the activity/event. For example, activity/event organizers should not call an activity/event “Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc. Walk-a-Thon.” Your activity/event should be promoted as the “Walk-a-thon to benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc.”
- The public should be informed regarding any net amounts that will be donated to RMHCCV. If RMHCCV will not receive all of the proceeds from the activity/event, then the exact percentage of the proceeds that benefit RMHCCV must be stated clearly on all invitation copy, advertising, and promotional materials.
- If another organization will benefit from the activity/event, RMHCCV must be notified when you apply to host an activity/event.
- You are responsible for ensuring that activities/events comply with all federal, state and local laws governing charitable fund raising, gift reporting and special events. If your organization is eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions, the IRS requires that all tickets, invitations or entry forms state the fair market value, or which portion of the contribution is tax-deductible. For activities/events that RMHCCV assists with planning and where contributions may be sent directly to RMHCCV, you must inform us in advance of the value of any good or services, if any, that the donor will receive in exchange for the contribution.
- You, as an activity/event planner, may not keep any portion of the proceeds as profit or compensation for organizing the activity/event. If activity/event expenses are greater than the money raised, you are responsible for paying those expenses.
- Proceeds must be received by RMHCCV within business 30 days of the fundraising activity/event or campaign.
- RMHCCV must be notified if there are any significant changes planned for the activity/event. If circumstances warrant (i.e. fraud, negative exposure, etc) RMHCCV may, at any time, through members of its governing board or senior administrators, direct you to cancel the activity/event. You must agree to cancel the activity/event, if so directed, and you hereby agree to release RMHCCV and its board members, officers and employees from any and all liability in connection to any such action.
What We Can Do to Help You
- offer advice and expertise on activity/event planning
- provide a letter of authorization to be used to validate the authenticity of the activity/event and its organizers
- promote the activity/event on the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc. website
- assist in providing volunteer support for activities/events whenever possible, and with prior approval of RMHCCV’s senior administrators
- assist with the development of your mailing list based on specific criteria
- provide a representative to attend your activity/event, if possible, and with prior approval of RMHCCV’s senior administrators
- provide a written tax receipt to donors who make their checks payable to Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc.
- promote event on RMHCCV’s social media accounts/e-newsletter audience
- provide digital marketing support
What We Cannot Do to Help You
- provide on-site staff support at your activity/event (exceptions granted on a case-by-case basis)
- extend our tax exemption or charitable solicitation license to you
- provide insurance coverage
- provide funding or reimbursement for expenses
- solicit sponsorship revenue for your fundraising activities
- provide celebrities or professional athletes for your activity/event
- provide Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, INC. letterhead
- submit press releases to media outlets (exceptions granted on a case-by-case basis)
- obtain permits or licenses
- provide printed marketing collateral
Please understand that the volume of requests we receive sometimes exceeds the number of staff available to attend activities/events. Please call Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Central Valley, Inc. at 559-447-6793 a minimum of four weeks prior to your activity/event or check presentation to discuss RMHCCV representation.